20 year old blogger interested in all things creative.
Contact via phillippa.rounds@hotmail.com

Thursday 9 January 2014

1920's Glamour: makeup tutorial

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I hope to make posts on a more regular basis from now on so please stay tuned! My first makeup tutorial of the year will be a fun look which I wore on New Years for a 1920's Flapper themed party. I received a gorgeous makeup palette by e.l.f for Christmas which I've been using non-stop over the holidays and I've incorporated many of the shadows into this look. I really love how smooth the shadows are; they are very silky and light to touch. I had fun creating this look and decided to share it with my fellow bloggers and makeup lovers. 

Products used:
  • 32 piece eyeshadow palette by e.l.f
  • Manicare Beauty Essentials Stippling brush
  • Manicare Beauty Essentials Angle brush
  • Flat shader brush by MAC
  • Eyeshadow primer in 'Sheer' by e.l.f
  • High Brow definition kit by BeautyUK
  • Fabulous Lash mascara

 This has become one of my favourite palettes because there is such a great variety of matte and satin shades. The colours are warm and neutral and I've gotten so much use out of this palette already. It includes a handy sponge tip applicator and mirror, as well as a matte black and vanilla highlight. I highly recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a day-time/everyday-wear palette.


 Essential brushes: The stippling brush helps my foundation last alot longer because the soft, sparse hairs evenly distribute the product over the face, meaning only a tiny bit of product is needed. The end result is a smooth and flawless finish. If heavier coverage is needed, then the product can easily be built up using this brush without that awful feeling of looking 'cakey'. The angled brush allows me to line my lash line neatly and precisely, and also makes winging out eyeliner so much easier. Finally, the flat shader brush packs on shadow with minimum fall out, making application of shadows quick and simple.
 I started off by priming my lids with e.l.f's eyeshadow primer in 'Sheer' to make the shadows last all night without creasing. I then applied a wash of baby pink, shimmery shadow all over the lid. (I decided to experiment with sparkly satins because they are more appropriate for the holiday season!) I then took a medium plum shade and worked this into the crease to make the eyes more intense. I blended this colour out with a clean, fluffy brush and a rose gold colour to create a soft edge and to add some extra sparkle. To add further depth, I reapplied the plum shade into the outer 'v' of my lid to make the look more smokey and flapper-like. To finish off the shadows, I selected a shimmery champagne shade and applied this to both the inner corners and centre of the lids to make the eyes brighter and more light-reflecting.
 I found that using gel liner was too heavy for this look, so instead I opted for a black pencil. I lined my upper and lower lash lines with this pencil and set this with a matte black shadow (this helps prevent smudging and also softens the look). To balance the eyes, I blended the plum shadow onto my lower lash line which creates the more distinguished 'smokey-eye' look that is associated with flapper eye-makeup. Finally, I curled my eyelashes and applied a generous coat of black mascara. To really dramatize the eyes, you could add some falsies!

 I chose eyeshadow colours which would compliment the colour of my gold-flecked, pink dress (which I purchased from a River Island sale for £7!) I paired this with simple black leggins and nude heels. To accessorise, I chose a statement waterfall necklace and sweet, golden gem earrings.
 I gathered my hair into a messy side-bun, tugging at strands to make it big and voluminous. I purchased a cute lace headband from H&M for 99p and a feather/gem hair accessory for £3.99. By combining the two, I created a makeshift flapper-inspired hair piece which I was really happy with.

I kept my lips simple and understated by moisturising with Carmex cherry lip balm and applying a nude gloss. On my cheeks is a warm blush by Seventeen called 'Dusty Rose'. Here is the finished look!
Hope you enjoyed.

-Phil x

No comments :

Post a Comment